Photographs: Tal Nisim
Planning and interior design of 540sqm three floor house in the oldest neighbourhood in Tel Aviv. Each floor is planed as a large central hall surrounded by several smaller rooms. The building was originally built in stages starting from approximately 1890 for the ground floor while the first floor dates from 1905 to 1912. As a separate apartment. In 2006, after a particularly rainy night, the building collapsed. Despite the potential for designing larger floor area in a new building plan , the owner decided to keep the original volume, and the refurbishment kept the two main floors with especially high ceilings, putting together adhering to careful conservation of the external façade of the building. The ground floor and basement level were redesigned as open spaces for art collections while the top floor into a large open space for residential use. The upper and lower levels were planned according to a free internal division – as many open spaces thus preserving as much visibility as possible both with respect to the exterior and interior. The open space also preserves the continuity of the exterior openings transforming the external façade into an internal façade. The windows and external doors create a dialogue with contemporary design language for both the residential spaces and the art collections.